Hurricane Dorian Update: Sept. 3, 2019 - 9 AM EDT
September 2, 2019
Hurricane Dorian Update: Sept. 3, 2019 – 9 AM EDT
R3 Continuum is responding.
Dorian has weakened to a Category 3 storm.
Expect 7-10 inches of rain to fall on coastal areas over the next week.
The storm has weakened, now down to a Category 3. The storm may still increase in size with tropical force winds out to 160 mi from the center. The size and slow movement still pose a concern.
Hundreds of shelters are open. Florida is anticipating 44, 000 occupants and Georgia is expecting 10,000 occupants.
Hundreds of coastal hospitals, nursing homes and assisted living centers are in evacuation zones. Of those at least 30 hospitals that have altered operations or conducted evacuations (as shown on the map). The restoration of those hospitals to normal operations is important in the speed of overall recovery.
- Of the now 27.7 million people in the potential tropical storm impact areas, there is a risk of disaster fatigue due to the prolonged exposure and activity from the storm.
- Physical and emotional exhaustion of those in the forecasted impact areas.
- Difficulty in re-adjusting from the habitual, automatic checking social media, weather information, etc. This can create a need for organizations to manage reduced productivity. https://r3c.com/our-services/crisis-response/onsite-disruptive-event-management/
- A media surge yesterday saw a doubling of reporting appears to be consistent for today. This media attention will exacerbate any potential disaster fatigue.
- Additional storms are forming in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic, which will extend potential fatigue with a focus on multiple crisis events in a row.
Our Crisis Management and Response Center Teams will continue to bring more resources into the area in coordination with clients and authorities. Please return to R3 Active Front Lines for analysis and response updates.
For more information regarding R3c’s services during times like this, please see https://r3c.com/our-services/crisis-response/ and https://r3c.com/our-services/consulting/strategic-crisis-leadership/
For those organizations that have additional questions or are in need of support, please contact the R3c Response Center Disruptive Event Hotline at 1-888-736-0911 x1.
R3c Active Front Lines: Hurricane Dorian Update: Sept. 3, 2019 - 9 AM EDT
Dorian has weakened to a Category 3 storm