Civil Unrest Security Preparedness
October 27, 2020
By Oscar Villanueva
Managing Director of Security Services & Crisis Preparedness at R3 Continuum
Almost daily news reports of ongoing civil unrest and expected continued social instability are a strong reminder of the risk this type of issue represents for individuals and organizations. While civil unrest is often unpredictable, there are ways to protect employees and facilities from the direct or collateral damage caused by these events.
The keys to remaining safe and secure are to actively monitor conditions that could lead to civil unrest, have a security plan to protect personnel and assets, and engage in preventive measures as early as possible once an actual incident is imminent. The following security and prevention tips can help.
Businesses can prepare for civil unrest by:
- Ensuring emergency preparedness and business continuity plans are up-to-date.
- Having an emergency communication plan for employees.
- Ensuring evacuation procedures are current and properly communicated to all.
- Having an alternate site to stand up essential company businesses as soon as possible in case the main facility is not accessible.
- Securing external resources in advance to assist in an emergency.
- Considering supplies necessary to function – and securing those essential items ahead of time.
Here are some tips for individuals to keep in mind if confronted with a civil unrest situation:
- Be alert and practice situational awareness.
- Do not be distracted by your smartphone when out and about.
- Be aware of your surroundings if you are entering what appears to be an unsafe situation.
- Always be aware of escape routes for emergencies, and quickly leave areas of unrest.
- Avoid protest-related large gatherings.
- If you suspect an unrest situation, stay away from locations likely to be the target or site of protests like government buildings.
- If violence occurs, evacuate the area as fast as possible and seek shelter.
- Just in case civil unrest disrupts the supply chain for critical services, keep your car full of fuel to facilitate evacuation.
Following these simple security tips can help keep you, your family, and your business safe and secure.
Learn how R3 Continuum can help ensure safety and security for all facets of your organization through our Protective Services.
Ensure the physical and psychological safety and security of your organization. Talk to us.